Bivouac Swinton is about 5 miles west from Masham, a charming Wensleydale market town renowned for its breweries (Black Sheep and Theakstons) and annual Sheep Fair. The villages of Ilton, Fearby and Healey are all a short drive/half hour walk away.
The Bivouac is 30 minutes drive from the A1 and 8 miles north of Ripon.
If coming from the South on the A1, you need to exit at junction 50 signposted A61 for Ripon and Thirsk, then follow signs to Masham which will bring you west along the A6108.
Coming down from the north on the A1: Come off the A1 at the A684 exit toward Bedale/Northallerton, turn left onto the Bedale road A684. When you reach Bedale, take a dog leg onto the B6285 (turn left and then right) and carry along for about 4 miles. At the T-Junction turn right onto the B6267- at the next T-Junction take a sharp right onto the A6108, keep going until you reach Masham.
From Masham :
- Take the A6108 for Fearby.
- Go through the village of Fearby.
- Follow the brown sign, truning left at Kell Bank School.
- Travel along that road, over a small bridge and turn right up the hill.
- Follow that road round until you see a large Bivouac sign and turn right.
- Drive up the hill and take your first left along a drive that leads to our car park.